At AboutFACE, we believe in the power and importance of brilliantly written plays. As such, we think it’s important for actors to get the chance to play and work on large-scale, ambitious scripts, and so we’ve set up our new initiative: THE GREAT PLAYS GANG.
Once a month, we’ll be hosting an opportunity for actors to get together in an informal, cosy setting in Dublin’s city centre, and over drinks, perform in a table reading of a large-cast, masterwork play.
On the night, we cast the play by “drafting” roles – each actor picks a card from a pack of 52, with the holder of the highest card getting first choice of what role to read that night – and all roles are free to be chosen regardless of gender, age or type.
There’s no charge to be part of it or attend. Actors who RSVP are expected
• to get their own copy of the play, read it at least once before the reading, and bring a copy with them (hard copy or electronic).
• to arrive on time for the role draft (if late, they forfeit their place on the list).
• to be attentive and engaged for the whole reading.
• to buy their own food and drinks (preferably purchased at the bar!)
We will look to read
• A great, well-established play with at least 10 roles in it.
• For now: no well-known Irish plays (e.g. no McPherson, Carr, Friel) or classical texts (e.g. no Shakespeare) (These limitations may change later).
• AboutFACE will choose which plays are read each month, but are happily open to suggestions!
Our first Great Plays Gang will be held:
• Wednesday 20th September
• 7.30pm draft roles and start the reading (we’ll have doors open from 7pm)
at the Cellar Bar (downstairs) at the Stag’s Head pub, 1 Dame Ct, Dublin 2
• If you are an actor interested in taking part in the next GPG, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with RSVP GPG in the Subject, and we’ll put you down on the RSVP list for the night, and let you know what play we’ll be reading!
And non-performers are also very welcome to attend and listen to the reading.
We’ll be announcing the Great Plays Gang each month via email and social media, so make sure to sign up for mailing list and follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
We’ll hope you’ll come join THE GREAT PLAYS GANG!